A Hall Needed by the Local Community
Gunma Music Center
The predecessor of the local orchestra had been an amateur group of musicians composed of citizens who had gathered together in November 1945, soon after Japan’s defeat in World War II. It later developed into a professional orchestra, and by 1961 this center had been built through contributions of 100 million yen from the local citizens that was added to the city’s budget of 200 million. The building was designed by the Czech-American architect Antonin Raymond. The reason both the walls and the roof appropriated a folded plate structure is not only due to an aesthetic decision, but also as a means to reduce the amount of concrete needed in construction, or in other words, in order to reduce construction costs. The construction process was complex, however labor costs in Japan had still been inexpensive at the time.